Most enthusiastic mobile photographers have probably encountered a well-known issue when snapping pictures with their smartphone: there are too many photos. If you’re running out of space for more photos on your iPhone or perhaps you want to get rid of everything on your phone’s memory, we’re going to help you with this guide.
In case you are looking to sell your phone or give it away, another option could be to empty your iPhone completely with a factory reset. Check out our other blog post where we go through the process of doing a factory reset on an iPhone.
Next, we’re going to tell you how to delete individual and multiple photos at once. We’ll also instruct you on how to recover deleted photos.
How to delete a photo on your iPhone
The process of deleting a single photo is simple. Just open the photo you want to delete and press an icon representing a trashcan. You’re presented with a prompt confirming that you want to delete the photo. Press “Delete Photo”.
There! The photo has been removed from your iPhone’s Photos. This same process applies to deleting videos.
How to delete multiple photos at the same time
In case you have multiple photos you want to delete, you can select these in your iPhone’s Photos app, instead of deleting each photo individually. Here’s how to do it.
- Open the “Photos” app.
- Press “Select” and start tapping on all of the photos you want to delete. A blue checkmark appears on the selected photos. You can unselect a photo by tapping it again.
- Once you have selected all of the photos you want to remove from your device, press the trashcan-icon.
- A prompt appears, asking you to confirm that you want to delete all the selected photos. Press “Delete X Photos” (with the number of photos).
In addition to deleting multiple photos by selecting them by hand, you can also remove entire albums of photos as well. Instead of tapping on the different photos after pressing “Select”, just press “Select All” to select all photos inside the album. If you want to empty your iPhone completely from photos, just go ahead and delete all of the albums.
How to recover deleted photos
Even though we have just deleted a bunch of photos from your iPhone in the previous sections, there’s still something you can do to retrieve them. Photos deleted on your iPhone can be found in the “Recently Deleted” album.
All photos deleted on your iPhone will remain there for 30 days after you remove them. So, they are actually still on your device until you remove them from this folder or after they have remained in this folder for 30 days.
Here’s what to do if you want to recover deleted photos.
- Open the “Photos” app and select “Albums”.
- Inside the “Albums” page you’ll find an album titled “Recently Deleted”. Select the album.
- Next, select all of the photos you want to recover. In case you want to recover all photos, select “Recover All”.
- Press “Recover” to confirm that you want to recover the selected photos from the “Recently Deleted” album.
- Done! Your recovered photos can be found in “All Photos”.
To delete the photos permanently, you’ll have to go to the “Recently Deleted” album and delete the photos again. This same procedure applies to videos.
Wrap-up: How to delete all photos from iPhone?
You now know how to delete and restore photos on your Apple iPhone. In case you remove a photo permanently, there are still ways to restore them. However, you’ll have to resort to additional third-party applications and services to do so.
In case you want to ensure that none of your photos get deleted for good, it’s a good idea to make backups of your iPhone regularly. Read our blog post to learn more about backing up your iPhone.