To use your iPhone – or any mobile device – to make phone calls and send text messages in the local phone network, you’re going to need a SIM card. You’ll also need to change the SIM card when changing to a new service provider for your phone.
In this guide, we’ll instruct you on how to change the SIM card on your Apple iPhone. Because the location of a SIM card and SIM tray vary between different iPhone models, we’ll also tell you how to find your SIM card with different models.
How to locate the SIM card and SIM tray on your iPhone
There are three options when trying to find the place for a SIM card on an Apple smartphone. These are:
- On the left side of the iPhone: All iPhone 12 models.
- On the right side of the iPhone: All other iPhone models, except the original iPhone and iPhone 3G and 3GS.
- On top of the iPhone: The three other iPhone models.
Once you know where to look, try finding a tiny pinhead-sized hole on the side of the iPhone. This is the SIM card tray. After you have located the SIM tray, we can proceed to actually changing your SIM card.
How to change a SIM card
First off, you’ll need something that fits the small hole you just located on the side of your iPhone. The iPhone should have come with a small tool for opening a SIM tray when you bought the device.
An alternative for a SIM eject-tool is a paper clip or some other object with a small tip that fits into the SIM tray’s hole. Just make sure that whatever you’re using for opening the tray is small enough for this task. We don’t want to be scratching and damaging our iPhone in the process.
Follow these steps once you have located the SIM tray and you have the right tool to do the job:
- Insert your tool carefully inside the tiny hole and press slightly. Don’t apply too much pressure or bend the tool.
- The SIM tray should unlock and pop out of the side of your phone.
- Carefully pull out the SIM tray. If your phone has a SIM card in the tray, make sure that the card does not fall off in the process.
- Remove the old SIM card, in case there is one. If you need to insert a new SIM card, make sure to place it in the SIM tray with the right side facing up. The SIM card and tray are designed in a way that you shouldn’t be able to insert the card incorrectly.
- Make sure that the new SIM card is placed correctly and insert the SIM tray back inside your phone. Again, you should be able to insert the tray only one way, so don’t force the tray in.
- Push the tray all the way and ensure that it’s locked in its place.
There! Removing and changing your iPhone’s SIM card shouldn’t be difficult to do. In case you are having difficulties, there might be something wrong with your iPhone or SIM card. Contact your local Apple reseller or mobile service provider if you are experiencing problems with the phone, SIM card tray or the SIM card itself.
Wrap-up: How to remove SIM card from iPhone?
Now you know how to find the SIM card tray on your Apple iPhone, what you need to unlock the SIM tray as well as how to remove and insert a SIM card. Just remember not to use too much pressure when opening the tray or force the SIM card into the tray. There should also be only one way to do things correctly when changing a SIM card on your iPhone.