The Find My iPhone feature is a great way to prevent your iPhone from getting lost or being stolen as it allows you to locate and lock your iPhone, even if you don’t have it with you. For example, when Find My iPhone is activated, you can see the location of your device on a map. You can even use it to share your location with others or play a sound on your lost iPhone, making it easier to locate.
To use Find My iPhone, all you need to do is to activate the service and use a computer or some other device to find, reset or lock your lost iPhone. If you’re selling your iPhone or giving it away, you should turn off Find My iPhone first. It can be very inconvenient for the next user if the previous owner’s Find My iPhone feature is still activated when they receive their second-hand iPhone.
Next, we’ll go through a couple of methods for turning off the Find My iPhone feature. Just keep in mind that you can no longer use the feature to trace and lock your stolen or lost device.
How to turn off Find My iPhone in the phone’s settings
The first method for turning off Find my iPhone is quite simple and straightforward. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Settings of your iPhone and tap your name or user profile.
- Navigate to “Find My” and select “Find My iPhone”.
- If Find My iPhone has been activated, the green tap on top of the page should be green. Switch the “Find My iPhone” tap off.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
- Confirm that you want to turn off the Find My iPhone feature.
How to turn off Find My iPhone with iCloud
You can deactivate the Find My iPhone feature even if you don’t have access to your device, for example if you have sold your phone and need to turn off the feature afterward. We’ll tell you how to use your web browser to turn off Find My iPhone, but you can do this with the Find My app on an Apple device as well.
Follow these steps to turn off the feature using iCloud.
- First, go to icloud.com with your web browser and log in.
- Navigate to Find My iPhone and select “All Devices” to see a list with all of your Apple devices, including your iPhone.
- If your iPhone is turned on:
- Select the iPhone you want to remove and press “Erase iPhone”.
- Remember that this erases everything on your iPhone, so be sure that you want to confirm. We recommend making sure that you have a backup of your iPhone whenever resetting your phone.
- Confirm that you want to erase the selected device. You may need to enter your Apple ID and password.
- Once your iPhone has been erased, press “Remove from Account”.
- If your iPhone is turned off:
- Select the iPhone you want to remove and press “Remove from Account”.
Summary: How to turn off Find My iPhone
We recommend using the Find My feature in case your iPhone or some other Apple device gets lost. However, in case you need to deactivate the feature, you can use one of these two methods to do so.
When buying refurbished iPhones from Swappie, you can be sure that the previous owner’s Find My iPhone feature has been turned off. Remember to make sure that you have turned off Find My iPhone when selling your old iPhone to Swappie.